Professional Liability Insurance
GEBA’s Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) protects federal employees when allegations, claims, and lawsuits are made against them in the performance of their federal duties. Coverage is affordable and applicants many qualify to have half of the annual premium reimbursed. This coverage entitles you to legal representation and covers expenses and judgments awarded against you, both in the U.S. and abroad. Protect yourself from the exorbitant costs of defending against:
- Proposed Discipline
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Investigations
Why Do I Need Professional Liability Insurance?
Public scrutiny, political demands, new workplace rules, increased workloads, and disgruntled employees have increased the exposure of most federal employees to allegations, investigations, disciplinary action, and personal capacity lawsuits. You may think this will never happen to you, but it happens more often than you think.
Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) is a must for any federal employee, especially those whose duties include:
- Protecting our nation’s security
- Working in the Intelligence Community
- Providing law enforcement, federal security, or border patrol
- Managing or supervising federal employees
- Making decisions on public policy or in the interest of the public
- Working directly with the public
- Providing Human Resources functions
- Obligating and administering federal funds or contracts
- Providing medical, financial, or other professional services
The Department of Justice (DOJ), at its own discretion, can choose whether or not to provide you with representation. Even if they represent you, the government is not obligated to pay any judgments against individual employees, even for acts committed within the scope of their employment. So, you may be faced with both having to hire your own lawyer and paying judgments against you.
Worldwide Coverage Includes:
GEBA PLI, through FEDS Protection, offers the following benefits:
- $1 million of civil suit coverage for those circumstances where DOJ denies representation or indemnification
- $200,000 coverage for legal defense costs for administrative matters and disciplinary proceedings
- $100,000 coverage for legal defense costs for criminal investigations and hearings/proceedings
- $500,000 of LEOSA civil suit coverage for Qualified Law Enforcement Officers
- Legal representation led by the panel of attorneys at Shaw Bransford & Roth who have extensive experience and proven success in representing federal employees. Policyholders may also be represented by nationally ranked firms when specific expertise and knowledge is necessary to successfully defend them.
- 36-month extended reporting period for civil protection after separation from federal service.
Affordable RatesThe total annual cost for GEBA’s Professional Liability Insurance is $290*. It is paid through a single annual auto-debit. This coverage will be effective the first date of any month and the premium is then prorated per month. See table below for rates. This is an annual coverage than can only be cancelled for retirement or resignation. If you are a manager, supervisor, or law enforcement employee, the Federal Law requires your Agency to reimburse you for one half of the Professional Liability Insurance premium up to $150. Check with your benefits office at your Agency for specific eligibility and reimbursement procedures.
Who’s Eligible?All federal employees who are working at least 17.5 hours per week are eligible to enroll in GEBA’s Professional Liability Insurance plan. This coverage is not available to sponsored family members, retirees, and military.
|Effective Date of Coverage||Premium Due|
GEBA is proud to partner with the well-known and respected FEDS Protection group, with benefits secured by Scottsdale Insurance Company which has an A.M. Best A++XV (superior) rating.
*Rate includes Surplus Lines Tax